Sunday, September 4, 2016

Make Every Day a Special Occasion

A recent change in my living arrangements required the division of household goods. The "good" everyday flatware was given up and I got the lesser 'make-do" flatware.

Using the less than lovely utensils was a daily reminder of settling, making do with something I had accepted for necessity but not for it's beauty.

In talking to a friend about the flatware I was reminded of grandmother's silver. Beautiful in look and feel, grandmother's silver was carefully packed away in the basement, being saved for special occasions.

Grandmother's silver



Why do we save the best for other people? For special occasions? Why don't we treat ourselves as our own special guests?

I promptly donated the unloved stainless steel flatware, someone else will make good use of it. I unpacked grandmother's silver and use it everyday.

Every single time I pick up one of grandmother's silver pieces, a fork, a knife, a spoon, I am grateful to have something so beautiful to use. It is a true pleasure to have my every day be a special occasion, even if I'm the only one at the table.

What can you do to treat yourself as a special guest in your own life?


Photography & prose by Terry Rowe. Your visit & comments are appreciated.

You can see my art work or photographs at www.terryrowe.photography.  Any photographs in my blog are also available for purchase.






1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog. Great sentiment. I go to Tuesday Mornings and pick up four pieces of Mikasa porcelain to eat my pasta or cereal in. Your blog made me aware I need new glassware but I do have crystal wine glasses I could drink my milk from, use to down my vitamins. Going to begin today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment and visit!